Ways to Change Linux Desktop Theme – Changing Linux Theme. This guide will show you how to change desktop appearance on Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon version. For this tutorial we are using Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon desktop. If you have not configured it otherwise already, everything should work for you.
How to Download Linux Mint Theme
We recommend you download Linux Mint desktop themes from the Themes window. You can open Themes setting on Linux by clicking Start Menu >> Preferences >> System Settings >> Themes
Below the Desktop section you can see a link called “Add/remove desktop themes…” click on it.
Then you will also see “Installed themes” tab and “Available themes (online)”;
- Installed themes: means that the themes been installed and ready to use for your Linux
- Available themes (online): means that you need to download the themes you like so that it is ready to use by your Linux Mint.
How to Download Linux Desktop Themes
- Simply click on the “Available themes (online)” tab and then select themes you like, give it a check mark
- Click on “Install or update selected items” button to download your theme
- This download will automatically installed on your system… Also it will be available on the “Installed themes” tab
Another option to download Linux Mint Desktop themes is download it manually or your friend have a good looking theme you can copy it. Download Linux themes manually Click Here!
NOTE: We do not recommend downloading theme manually.
How to Install Linux Mint Desktop Theme
If you are using “Desktop Themes” window above to download your Linux desktop theme, you don’t need to install because it is installed automatically by your Linux system.
If you are using manual method, usually install instruction of your theme will be included on the readme file.
How to Change Linux Mint Desktop Theme
Go back to main window of “Desktop Themes” above, or you can access it by clicking Start Menu >> Preferences >> System Settings >> Themes.
From displayed window, you can change window border, icon, control, mouse pointer, also desktop themes for Linux Mint.
Select the “Desktop” section and click on it you will see installed theme which is ready to be used. After selecting one of your Linux themes, you can see the change. Please open your Start Menu and you will see the change. Choose the Linux themes that suit for you.